Large pipes are made up of several pipes that are joined together by connections. In some cases, it is necessary to test the leakage on these connections between pipes.
How can I make leakage test for joint place?
There are many methods to make this test.
- If the end user wants to test all joint places in one time, you can use PP model plugs. In this case application sketch will be as below. User should install PP model pipe plug firstly at the beginning of the pipe line and other PP model pipe plug should be installed end of the pipeline then the user should fill water from the manhole. As per EN1610, the user should check water level after 30 minutes then decide whether the leakage test passed successfully or not.
- If the end user wants to leakage test each joint place separately; There are two methods;
- If the pipe size is smaller than 1000mm. The user can use PTP and PP model plugs. The user should install PTP model pipe plug near joint place. Other PP model plug should be installed at other side near joint place. Then the user should fill water from bypass, through PTP model. The application sketch will be as below.
- If the pipe diameter is more than 1000mm, PlugCo recommend to use joint tester. Joint testers reduce water consumption and testing time. It is most effective solution. The application sketch will be as below.
Steps to choose the correct Leak Test Method
If you should do leakage test, you need to ask below question firstly; What is pipe diameter?
- If the pipe diameter is more than 1000mm;
PlugCo recommends to use joint tester. Joint tester is most cost-effective solution. As per EN1610, joint tester can be recommended for larger than 1000mm dia. You can review related part about joint tester as per EN1610: “Unless specified otherwise, testing of individual joints instead of testing the whole pipeline can be accepted for pipelines, usually larger than DN 1000.”
- If the pipe diameter is less then 1000mm; Ask another question; Does consultant accept to test all joints in one time?
- If yes, the user should use two PP model plugs. For this application, too much water is needed to fill test area. So, the end user should arrange the water accordingly and he needs time to fill test area. The advantage is that user will complete all joints test in one time. Disadvantage is that the user should arrange too much water to fill the test area and long time to do it.
- If not, the user should use PTP model and PP model plugs. There will be no much water to use. The user only should water test area from bypass through PTP model. So only test area should be filled so no need too much water and no need to wait too much to fill test area. It will be filled within short time.
If you are still confused and cannot decide the best method to test your pipeline, do not hesitate to contact PlugCo sales team and they will be glad to assist you.